The Marionette Collective, also known as MCollective, is a framework for building server orchestration or parallel job-execution systems. Most users programmatically execute administrative tasks on clusters of servers.
- Uses metadata-based discovery and filtering rather than relying on a static list of hosts to command it
- Can use a rich data source such as PuppetDB or can perform real-time discovery across the network
- Uses publish/subscribe middleware for communicating in parallel with several hosts at once instead of directly connecting to each host, which often requires too many resources and slows the pace
Cost: Contact for a quote
memcached is a high-performance, distributed memory object caching system, generic in nature, but originally intended for use in speeding up dynamic web applications by alleviating database load.
memcached allows you to take memory from parts of your system where you have more than you need and make it accessible to areas where you have less than you need.
- API available for most popular languages
- In-memory key-value store for small chunks of arbitrary data from results of database calls, API calls, or page rendering
- Simple, yet powerful
MySQL is the world’s most popular open source database. Whether you are a fast growing web property, technology ISV or large enterprise, MySQL can cost-effectively help you deliver high performance, scalable database applications.
Many of the world’s largest and fastest-growing organizations including Facebook, Google, Adobe, Alcatel Lucent and Zappos rely on MySQL to save time and money powering their high-volume Web sites, business-critical systems and packaged software.
- Reduce the risk, cost, and complexity in developing, deploying, and managing business-critical MySQL applications
- High performance, reliability, and scalability
- Cross-platform flexibility
- Easy to use and fast installation, configuration, and integration make it possible for developers to focus on application development and reduce costs and time to market
Cost: Contact for a quote
Docker is the infrastructure independent platform that easily integrates into your existing environment and provides full stack portability for apps to run on today and tomorrow’s infrastructure.
Secure and manage apps from build to deploy and every step along the way. Docker Enterprise Edition provides a unified platform across the app lifecycle, for Windows and Linux, on premises and in the cloud, and from development to production.
Get enterprise class support running Docker in production at scale with certified infrastructure and plugins. Build apps with certified containers and get assurances from a trusted ecosystem of technology alliances.
- Package dependencies with your apps in Docker containers to make them portable and predictable during development, testing, and deployment
- Works with any stack
- Isolates apps in containers to eliminate conflicts and enhance security
- Streamline DevOps collaboration to get features and fixes into production more quickly
- Community Edition: FREE
- Enterprise Edition Basic: Starting at $750/year
- Enterprise Edition Standard: Starting at $1,500/year
- Enterprise Edition Advanced: Starting at $2,000/year
Cacti is a complete frontend to RRDTool, it stores all of the necessary information to create graphs and populate them with data in a MySQL database. The frontend is completely PHP driven. Along with being able to maintain Graphs, Data Sources, and Round Robin Archives in a database, cacti handles the data gathering. There is also SNMP support for those used to creating traffic graphs with MRTG.
- Provides a fast poller, advanced graph templating, multiple data acquisition methods, and user management features out of the box
- Create data sources that utilize RRDTool’s create and update functions
- Supports RRD files with more than one data source
31. Stackify Retrace
Working to help developers write even better code to become even better developers, Stackify offers Retrace. This DevOps tool delivers powerful application performance management for teams and applications and makes developers’ jobs easier.
- Quickly find bugs and improve application performance on QA/test and production servers
- Specifically designed to give developers visibility, data, and actionable insights
- SaaS-based APM
- Offers a single pane of glass for code performance and metrics including integrated errors and logs
- Gain deeper code insights like which cache key is being used and names of queues
- Works with most common app stacks
- Retrace (Pre-Production): $10/month/pre-production server
- Retrace (Production): $25/month/server (single core) or $50/month/server (multi-core)
- Estimate your monthly spend with our pricing calculator.
A DevOps tool for IT automation at web scale, CFEngine is ideal for configuration management and helps teams automate large-scale, complex, and mission-critical infrastructure. With CFEngine, you can ensure compliance even while securely making consistent global changes.
- A lean, fast solution with execution time less than one second
- Written in C
- An open source configuration solution with an unparalleled security record
- A mature solution that has conducted hundreds of billions of compliance checks in large-scale production environments
- Scalable: deploy a model-based configuration change across 50,000 servers in five minutes
Cost: FREE for up to 25 hosts
Delivering adaptable, fast automation for DevOps teams, Gradle is a build tool that accelerates developer productivity. Teams that utilize Gradle build, automate, and deliver software that is better, and they do it faster than ever before.
- Build anything by writing in Java, C++, Python, or whichever language you prefer
- Take advantage of Gradle’s rich API and mature ecosystem of plugins and integrations to automate everything
- Deliver faster by scaling out development with lightning-fast builds
34. Apache Maven
Part of the Apache line of projects from the Apache Software Foundation, Apache Maven is a project management and comprehension tool for DevOps teams. With Maven, users get a reliable tool for managing a project’s build, reporting, and documentation.
- Use consistently across all projects to simplify onboarding for new developers coming onto a project
- Simple projects setup that follows best practices
- Superior dependency management including automatic updating, dependency closures, and transitive dependencies
- Large, growing repository of libraries and metadata to use out of the box
JFrog is a universal artifact repository and distribution platform. A unique DevOps tool, JFrog Artifactory is a universal artifact repository manager that fully supports software packages created by any language or technology.
- Enterprise-ready repository manager
- Supports secure, clustered, high-availability Docker registries
- Integrates with all major CI/CD and DevOps tools to provide an end-to-end, automated, bullet-proof solution for tracking artifacts from development to production
- Remote artifacts are cached locally for reuse, eliminating the need to download them again and again
Cost: FREE trial available
- JFrog Pro Edition: $2,950
- JFrog Pro SaaS Edition Google Cloud Platform: Starting at $85/month
- JFrog Pro SaaS Edition Microsoft Azure: Starting at $95/month
- JFrog Pro SaaS Edition Amazon Web Services: Starting at $98/month
- JFrog Enterprise SaaS Edition: Contact for a quote
- JFrog Enterprise Edition, starting with 3 servers: $29,500
Capistrano is a remote server automation tool for DevOps teams. This tool supports scripting and executing arbitrary tasks and includes a set of sane-default deployment workflows.
- Reliably deploy web application to any number of machines simultaneously in sequence or as a rolling set
- Automate audits of any number of machines
- Script arbitrary workflows over SSH
- Automate common tasks in software teams
- Drive infrastructures provisioning tools such as chef-solo, Ansible, and the like
Redis is a data structure server used as a database, cache, and message broker. This DevOps tool supports data structures including strings, hashes, lists, sets, sorted sets, and more.
- Open source in-memory data structure store
- Supports bitmaps, HyperLogLogs and geospatial indexes with radius queries
- Built-in replication, Lua scripting, LRU eviction, transactions, and different levels of on-disk persistence
- Provides high availability via Redis Sentinel an automatic partitioning with Redis Cluster
Tripwire is a leading provider of endpoint detection and response, security, compliance, and IT operation solutions for enterprises, service providers, and government agencies. DevOps teams use Tripwire to detect, prevent, and respond to cybersecurity threats quickly and confidently.
- Keep configurations in a known and trusted state and identify and remediate non-compliant changes using Tripwire’s nearly 800 policy/platform combinations
- Detect changes in real time
- Differentiate authorized and unauthorized changes and prioritize based on business context
- Reliably collects, normalizes, analyzes, and stores log data for immediate alerting of suspicious behaviors and to support detailed forensic analysis
Cost: Contact for a quote for the best Tripwire solution to fit your DevOps needs
Monit is a DevOps tool for system monitoring and error recovery. Monit provides easy, proactive monitoring of processes, programs, files, directories, filesystems, and more and acts as “a watchdog with a toolbox on your server.”
- Small open source utility for managing and monitoring Unix systems
- Conducts automatic maintenance and repair
- Executes meaningful causal actions in error situations
Collectl is a tool that delivers performance data to DevOps teams. Collectl is one tool that handles a number of tasks and alleviates the need to have several tools in your DevOps toolbox.
- Choose to monitor broad sets of subsystems including buddy info, cpu, disk, nodes, lustre, memory, network, tcp, slabs, sockets, or a number of others
- View output in a single line to spot spikes or other anomalies more easily
- Mix and match data in the brief format you need
- Choose to display information in verbose format
- Save output in a rolling set of logs for later playback or display it interactively in a variety of formats
- Supports OpenStack Clouds
Consul is a distributed, highly available system. This section will cover the basics, purposely omitting some unnecessary detail, so you can get a quick understanding of how Consul works
- Provide a service such as API or MySQL
- Provide health checks associated either with a given service or with a local node
- Make use of the hierarchical key/value store for dynamic configuration, feature flagging, coordination, leader election, and more
- Supports multiple data centers out of the box
42. Sumo Logic
Sumo Logic helps leading companies analyze and make sense of log data. DevOps teams choose Sumo Logic because it combines security analytics with integrated threat intelligence for advanced security analytics with deep insights for modern applications.
- Build, run, and secure AWS, Azure, or Hybrid applications
- Cloud-native, machine data analytics service for log management and time series metrics
- One platform for real-time continuous intelligence
- Remove friction from your application lifecycle
Cost: FREE trial available
- Sumo Logic Free: FREE – Up to 500MB/day
- Professional: $90/month, 1 GB/day with annual pre-pay – 3-20 users
- Enterprise: $150/month, 1 GB/day with annual pre-pay – 20+ users
An open source multi-protocol messaging broker, RabbitMQ is a DevOps tool that supports a large number of developer platforms. RabbitMQ also runs on all major operating systems and is easy to use.
- Enables software applications to connect and scale
- Gives your applications a common platform for sending and reaching messages and provides a safe place for messages to sit until received
- Flexible routing, reliability, clustering, highly available queues, and more
Logstash, from Elastic, is a DevOps tool for centralizing, transforming, and stashing data. An open source tool on the server side of data processing, Logstash simultaneously ingests data from multiple sources, transforms it, and sends it to the stash of your choice.
- Collect, parse, and transform logs
- Easily ingest from logs, metrics, web applications, data stores, and AWS services in continuous, streaming fashion
- Dynamically transforms and prepares data no matter its format or complexity
- Pipelines are multipurpose and may be sophisticated to give you full visibility when monitoring deployments or even an active Logstash node
A DevOps tool providing cloud log management, Loggly assists in logging data intelligence for modern infrastructure. Simplify log management and solve operational issues more quickly with little time or effort, thanks to Loggly.
- Mines scores of log data in real time
- Delivers insights DevOps teams need to produce quality code and ensure a superior user experience
- Get a bird’s-eye view of logs by seeing what is happening across distributed environments in real time
- Use data to search for answers
- Use open protocols rather than proprietary agents to send logs
- AWS DevOps Competency designation for providing effective solutions helping businesses access, manage and analyze log data across the entire application stack on AWS
Cost: FREE trial available
46. Apache ActiveMQ
The Apache Software Foundation presents Apache ActiveMQ, a DevOps tool that is an open source messaging and integration patterns server. ActiveMQ is useful because it is fast, supports several cross language clients and protocols, includes easy-to-use enterprise integration patterns, and fully supports JMS 1.1 and J2EE 1.4.
- OpenWire for high-performance clients in Java, C, C++, and C#
- Supports advanced features like message groups, virtual destinations, wildcards, and composite destinations
- Spring support for easily embedding it into Spring applications; configured using Spring’s XML configuration mechanism
- Designed for high-performance clustering, client-server, peer-based communication
Papertrail offers hosted log management and delivers real-time tail and search, alerts, text files and syslog, and encryption. DevOps teams choose Papertrail when they want an easier time dealing with logs because this cloud-hosted log management tool eases frustration and allows for instant log management.
- Aggregate – All app logs, text log files, and syslog in one place
- Tail and Search – Realtime, using a browser, command-line, or API
- React and Analyze – Get instant alerts, detect trends, and archive forever
- Instant log visibility
- Realize value from logs you already collect
- FREE plan – 48 hours search, 7 days archive, 5 GB first month bonus and then 100 MB/month
- 1 GB/month: $7 – 1 week search, 1 year archive
- 2 GB/month: $18 – 1 week search, 1 year archive
- 4 GB/month: $35 – 2 weeks search, 1 year archive
- 8 GB/month: $75 – 2 weeks search, 1 year archive
- 16 GB/month: $150 – 2 weeks search, 1 year archive
- 25 GB/month: $230 – 2 weeks search, 1 year archive
OverOps is the DevOps tool that tells teams why bugs happen and servers crash. Quickly and easily identify when and why code breaks in production with OverOps.
- Detects when production code breaks and delivers the source code and variable state that caused it to DevOps teams
- Improve staff efficiency by eliminating time wasted sifting through logs; get the complete source code and variable state to fix any error
- Proactively detects when deployments introduce errors
- Avoid release delays and spend time delivering great features rather than dealing with production issues
Cost: FREE Pro Trial available for 14 days
- Lite: FREE – 1 user/1JVM
- Pro: $109/month/JVM with annual plan – Up to 25 users
- Enterprise: Contact for a quote – Volume discounts are available
Squid is a fully-featured HTTP/1.0 proxy which is almost (but not quite – we’re getting there!) a fully-featured HTTP/1.1 proxy. Squid offers a rich access control, authorization and logging environment to develop web proxy and content serving applications. Squid offers a rich set of traffic optimization options, most of which are enabled by default for simpler installation and high performance.
- Extensive access controls
- Runs on most available operating systems including Windows
- Licensed under the GNU GPL
- Optimizes data flow between client and server to improve performance
- Caches frequently-used content to save bandwidth
A fully-featured integrated development environment (IDE) for Android, iOS, web, and cloud, Visual Studio IDE is a DevOps tool from Microsoft. DevOps teams use Visual Studio IDE to write code accurately and efficiently while retaining the current file context.
- Easily zoom into details like call structure, related functions, check-ins, and test status
- Leverage Visual Studio IDE’s functionality to refactor, identify and fix code issues
- Build apps and games for devices running Windows, native or hybrid apps for Android or iOS or Windows, apps that scale to Azure, modern web apps with powerful tools and an extensible ecosystem, and more
- Easily develop and deploy SQL Server and Azure SQL databases with ease
- Visual Studio Community: FREE – For students, open-source, and individual developers
- Visual Studio Professional: FREE trial available; Contact for a quote
- Visual Studio Enterprise: FREE trial available; Contact for a quote