Due to the intensive work DevOps engineers and their teams complete on a daily basis, they are always on the lookout for tools to help them improve efficiency and productivity. Unfortunately, there typically isn’t enough time in the day to dig for top-rated, impactful DevOps technologies that fit the team. That’s why we did the searching for you. From tenured tools that have proven invaluable to the DevOps process to emerging tools created by developers to help fellow developers, here’s our curated list of the most reliable, relevant, secure, and useful DevOps technologies out there.
The leading open source automation server, Jenkins is a DevOps tool for monitoring executions of repeated jobs. This extensible automation engine enables DevOps teams to integrate project changes more easily and access outputs for quickly identifying problems.
- Self-contained Java-based program ready to run out of the box with Windows, Mac OS X, and other Unix-like operating systems
- Continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Easily set up and configured via a web interface
- Hundreds of plugins in the Update Center
SolarWinds offers IT management software and monitoring tools. DevOps teams turn to their Log & Event Manager software when they need a solution for security, compliance, and troubleshooting.
- Normalize logs to quickly identify security incidents and simplify troubleshooting
- Out-Of-The-Box rules and reports for easily meeting industry compliance requirements
- Node-based licensing
- Real-time event correlation
- Real-time remediation
- File integrity monitoring
- Licenses for 30 nodes to 2,500 nodes
Cost: FREE trial available for 30 days
- LEM30: $4,495 – Up to 30 nodes
- LEM50: $7,485 – Up to 50 nodes
- LEM100: $12,995 – Up to 100 nodes
HashiCorp gives organizations the ability to provision, secure, and run any infrastructure for any application with their Suite, which includes Vagrant, Packer, Terraform, Vault, Nomad, and Consul. Vagrant, specifically, helps DevOps teams create and configure lightweight, reproducible, and portable development environments. Vagrant also features easy-to-use workflows and focuses on automation, saving DevOps teams time in setting up development environments.
- No complicated setup process; simply download and install within minutes on Mac OS X, Windows, or a popular distribution of Linux
- Create a single file for projects describing the type of machine you want, the software you want to install, and how you want to access the machine, and then store the file with your project code
- Use a single command, vagrant up, and watch as Vagrant puts together your complete development environment so that DevOps team members have identical development environments
PagerDuty is a DevOps tool that helps teams and businesses protect their brand reputation and customer experiences. PagerDuty is an incident management solution supporting continuous delivery strategy and enabling DevOps teams to deliver high-performing apps and superior customer experiences.
- Real-time alerts
- Gain visibility into critical systems and applications
- Quickly detect, triage, and resolve incidents from development through production
- Full-stack visibility across dev and production environments
- Event intelligence for actionable insights
Cost: FREE trial available for 14 days
- Lite: $9/month/user billed annually – Unlimited notifications and 180+ integrations with top tools
- Basic: $29/month/user billed annually – Unlimited notifications and 200+ integrations with top tools
- Standard: $49/month/user billed annually – Unlimited global notifications and 200+ integrations with top tools
- Enterprise: $99/month/user billed annually – Unlimited global notifications and 200+ integrations with top tools
Prometheus, an open-source service monitoring system and time series database, powers DevOps teams’ metrics and alerting. Prometheus especially is popular with teams using Grafana.
- Flexible query language for slicing and dicing collected time series data to generate graphs, tables, and alerts
- Stores time series in memory and on local disk with scaling achieved by functional sharing and federation
- Supports more than 10 languages and includes easy-to-implement custom libraries
- Alerts based on Prometheus’s flexible query language
- Alert manager handles notifications and silencing
Ganglia provides DevOps teams with cluster and grid monitoring capabilities. This scalable tool is designed for high-performance computing systems like clusters and grids. Ganglia makes use of XML, XDR, and RRD tools.
- Scalable distributed monitoring system based on a hierarchical design targeted at federations of clusters
- Achieves low per-node overheads for high concurrency
- Can scale to handle clusters with 2,000 nodes
Snort is a DevOps tool for security. An open source intrusion prevention system, Snort is capable of real-time traffic analysis and packet logging. Snort boasts more than 500,000 registered users and has been downloaded more than 5 million times, making it the most widely deployed intrusion prevention system in the world.
- Performs protocol analysis and content searching and matching
- Provides real-time traffic analysis and packet logging
- Detects buffer overflows, stealth port scans, CGI attacks, SMB proves, OS fingerprinting attempts, and other attacks and probes
Designed to make machine data accessible, usable, and valuable to everyone, Splunk delivers operational intelligence to DevOps teams. The insights Splunk gives help make companies more productive, competitive, and secure.
- Actionable insights with data-driven analytics
- Next-generation monitoring and analytics solution
- Delivers a central, unified view of IT services
- Detects patterns, dynamically adapts thresholds, highlights anomalies, and pinpoints areas of impact
Cost: FREE trial available; Contact for a quote
Helping DevOps teams daily, Nagios is the industry standard in IT infrastructure monitoring. DevOps teams identify and correct problems with world-class network, server, and log monitoring from Nagios.
- Nagios XI monitors mission-critical infrastructure components such as applications, services, operating systems, network protocols, system metrics, and network infrastructure
- Nagios Log Server simplifies the process of searching log data
- Nagios Network Analyzer delivers an in-depth look at network traffic sources and potential security threats for quickly gathering high-level information on network health
- Nagios XI: Starts at $1,995
- Nagios Log Server: Starts at $1,995
- Nagios Network Analyzer: Starts at $995
By automating your infrastructure, Chef is a DevOps tool for achieving speed, scale, and consistency. Chef turns infrastructure into code so that users easily and quickly can adapt to changing business needs.
- Accelerate cloud adoption
- Manage data center and cloud environments
- Manage multiple cloud environments
- Maintain high availability
Cost: FREE trials available
- Chef Basics: FREE
- Hosted Chef: $72/node, minimum 20 nodes
- Chef Automate: $137/node
DevOps teams use Juju for automating cloud infrastructure and deploying application architectures. This tool, along with Juju’s best practice Charms, helps DevOps teams handle configuration, management, maintenance, deployment, and scalability more easily.
- Operate big software at scale on any cloud
- Deploy, configure, scale, and operate software on public and private clouds
- Choose a 5-node developer cluster or an 11-node production-grade cluster
- Spread the cost of expertise and amplify the power of your team with open source operations code and model-driven operations at any scale and on any cloud
A SaaS platform for lightning-fast centralized log management, systems monitoring, and alerting, Scalyr is a DevOps tool that helps teams solve problems quickly. In fact, Scalyr searches terabytes of logs in mere seconds.
- Aggregates all server logs and metrics into a centralized system in real time
- Powerful web UI delivers search results in seconds
- Insights and visualizations for the entire DevOps team so you can diagnose issues before they grind operations to a halt
- Monitor key metrics, alert when trouble is about to strike, and keep operations moving smoothly
- Integrated suite of server monitoring, log management, visualization, and analysis tools to find and resolve more incidents in less time and all from one screen
Cost: FREE trial available for 30 days
- Silver: $99/month – 2GB/day log volume with 14 days retention
- Gold: $249/month – 5GB/day log volume with 21 days retention
- Platinum: $499/month – 10GB/day log volume with 30 days retention
- Enterprise: Contact for a quote
13. Stackify Prefix
Stackify is a lightweight DevOps tool that shows real-time logs, errors queries, and more directly at your workstation. Rather than serving as a standard code profiler, Prefix displays details per web request to help teams understand what your code is doing and how long it takes.
- Detailed trace of every web request
- Eliminate messy config or code changes
- Runs fast and always is ready
- Provides an instant feedback loop to see what your .NET or Java web apps are doing
- Find and fix bugs prior to production
SaltStack is software for data-driven orchestration and configuration management at scale. This DevOps tool is the solution for intelligent orchestration for the software-defined data center.
- Manages heterogeneous computing environments
- Orchestrates any cloud
- Automates deployment of nearly any infrastructure and application stack used to create modern cloud, enterprise IT, and web-scale
- Proven and packaged for unique infrastructure automation, cloud orchestration, and configuration management requirements of DevOps, CloudOps, and ITOps at scale
Cost: Contact for a quote
Providing the simplest way to automate IT, Ansible is a DevOps tool for automating your entire application lifecycle. Ansible is designed for collaboration and makes it much easier for DevOps teams to scale automation, manage complex deployments, and speed productivity.
- Deploy apps
- Manage systems
- Avoid complexity
- Simple IT automation that eliminates repetitive tasks and frees teams to do more strategic work
Cost: Contact for a quote
16. Code Climate
Code Climate helps teams ensure the health of your code, from the command line to cloud. With Code Climate, you get a DevOps tool for automated code review for test coverage, complexity, duplication, security, style, and more.
- Merge with confidence
- Fix issues sooner to ship better code more quickly
- Automated code review where you work
- Get immediate results within your pull requests
- Integrates directly into your workflow
- One interface for all data, from test coverage and style to security and code quality
Cost: FREE trial for 14 days
- Standard, Hosted: $16.67/set/month billed annually or $20/seat/month billed monthly
- Enterprise, On-Premise or Hosted: Contact for a quote
Rudder provides continuous configuration and auditing software for automatically measuring and correcting configuration drift on Linux, Windows, and more. This DevOps tool is an easy-to-use, web-driven, role-based solution for IT infrastructure automation and compliance.
- Workflow offers various user options at their own level: non-expert users, expert users, and managers
- Automate common system administration tasks such as installation and configuration
- Enforce configuration over time
- Inventory all managed nodes
- Web interface for configuring and managing nodes and their configuration
- Compliance reporting by configuration and/or by node
Puppet Enterprise is one of the most popular DevOps tools on the market because it enables teams to deliver technology changes quickly, release better software, and do it more frequently with confidence. Use Puppet Enterprise to manage infrastructure as code and get a solid foundation for versioning, automated testing, and continuous delivery.
- Deploy changes with confidence
- Recover more quickly from failures
- Free your team to be more agile and responsive to business needs
- Increase reliability by decreasing cycle times
- Ensures consistency across development, test, and production environments so teams know that changes are consistent and systems are stable when you promote them
Cost: FREE trial available
- 12-Month Puppet Enterprise Subscription for up to 500 Nodes: $3,000 – Standard support and maintenance
- Contact sales for more than 500 nodes or for premium support
An open source log management tool that works wonders for DevOps teams, Graylog delivers trusted, full-featured log management. Build specifically for DevOps, security, and operations, Graylog stores, searches, and analyzes log data from any source.
- Monitoring of distributed applications at any time and on demand
- All log data available and accessible in one central location
- Discover and resolve issues faster
- Ensure customer satisfaction with less downtime and better performance
- Proactively monitor key indicators and exceptions across the entire stack
- Reuse code and simplify rule management by composing stages in named pipelines
UpGuard is a DevOps tool that offers visibility into the state of your IT infrastructure and enables teams to understand risk potential, prevent breaches, and hasten software delivery. UpGuard’s solutions provide complete visibility into server and device configurations and enable teams to ensure systems are secure while minimizing the risk of unplanned outages and data breaches.
- Integrity monitoring allows you to detect and rectify integrity issues before they get out of control
- Powerful diffing capabilities for discovering and comparing differences between single systems or entire environments, regardless of complexity
- Advanced vulnerability analytics to keep teams in the loop with current, tested information for better decision making
Cost: Contact for a quote
Sensu delivers full-stack monitoring for dynamic operating environments. As a DevOps tool, Sensu is helpful in monitoring servers, services, application health, and business KPIs, collecting and analyzing custom metrics, and being alerted to failures before users do.
- A cohesive monitoring platform that focuses on composability and extensibility
- Approximately 70% of Sense users report standardizing on Sensu and replacing at least 3 or more legacy monitoring systems within the first 30 days of installing it while improving monitoring coverage by over 25%
- Monitor servers, containers, services, applications, network devices, and remote resources
- Reuse existing monitoring logic
- Designed to work with automation tools like Puppet, Chef, and Ansible
- Improves operational visibility by providing a single pane of glass for multiple physical or logical data centers
Cost: FREE trial available
22. JIRA Software
The leading software development tool used by agile teams, JIRA Software is used by DevOps teams for issue and project tracking. For teams that want to ship early and often, JIRA Software is the ideal tool because it is the singular tool every member of your team needs to plan, track, and release a great product.
- Create user stories and issues, plan sprints, and distribute tasks across DevOps teams
- Prioritize and discuss work in full context and with complete visibility
- Ship with confidence knowing the information you have always is current
- Improve team performance based on real-time, visual data
- Use an out-of-the-box workflow or create one tailored to your team
Cost: FREE trial available
- Cloud: Starts at $10/month for 10 users
- Server: Starts at $10/month for 10 users
- Data Center: Starts at $12,000/month for 500 users
23. Apache Ant
Apache Ant, part of the Apache Software Foundation, is a Java library and command-line tool. DevOps teams use Ant as a build automation tool because it saves time by driving processes described in build files as targets and extension points dependent upon each other.
- Supplies a number of built-in tasks for compiling, assembling, testing, and running Java applications
- May be used to build non-Java applications such as C or C++ apps
- Pilot any type of process that can be described in terms of targets and tasks
- Extremely flexible and does not impose coding conventions or directory layouts to the Java projects that use it as a build tool
From Tom Preston-Werner, co-foudner and CCEO of GitHub, God is a process monitoring framework in Ruby that is easy to configure and extend. DevOps teams turn to God for keeping server processes and tasks running.
- Config file written in Ruby
- Integrated notification system or write your own
- Various poll conditions can have different intervals
- Easily write your own custom conditions in Ruby
- Easily control non-daemonizing scripts
An open source, all-in-one platform for DevOps, ProductionMap was created by a group of IT and DevOps professionals to deliver the most advanced orchestrator and development platform available. This DevOps tool enables teams to develop and execute complex automation on a large scale of servers and hybrid technologies.
- Integrated visual platform for DevOps
- Makes automation development fast and easy
- Develop more robust products
- Document every change and reproduce previous executions quickly and easily
- Drag and drop with the orchestrator
- FREE with registration
- DevOps professional services for developing automation using Production Map: Contact for a quote