Solaris operating system is rapidly changing from version to version. There were a lot difference between Solaris 9 , Solaris 10 , Solaris 11 But people were able to grab the changes quickly in the past when it was transformed from Solaris 8/9 to Solaris 10. ZFS and Zones were not utilized potentially on Solaris 10 and this could be the reason why the system administrators couldn’t find any difficulties. But now most of the people are asking that how and where to start for oracle Solaris 11. Oracle Solaris 11 is completely different from Solaris 10. Oracle has set the default root filesystem as ZFS from Solaris 11 onwards. In other words , we are forced to use the liveupgrade and brand new Image Packing system.
Main features on Solaris 11:-
IPS Image Packaging System (Advanced feature (Repo)) of packaging.
AI Automated Installer (In place of Jump start).
Network Profile based configuration method (NCP) and more features.
Live Upgrade Managing Boot Environment features (beadm).
ZFS Default filesystem of Solaris 11 and more features.
ISCSI LUN Sharing the LUN between the servers (COMSTAR) and more features.
Security New System Security Features – Basic Audit Reporting Tool (BART)
Zone New features and enhancement of Zones.
IPS (Image Packaging System)
Image packaging system which is main feature in Oracle Solaris 11, Its a network based package management (Repositories) and it provides complete software administration such as installation, upgrade and removal of Packages in easiest way.
- Secure system upgrades with ZFS boot environments.
- Automatic dependency checking and downloads efficiently.
- Spacious package publishing methods.
- No Patches concept here, as all system updates through one mechanism (IPS)
- Configure and updating method of IPS
AI (Automated Installer)
Automated Installer which is also one of the main feature in Oracle Solaris 11. Jump start feature has been completely redesigned as Automated Installer which can be performed as hand-free installation methods. Automated Installer (AI) is network-based feature which will resolves package dependencies and also provides flexibility.
- Reducing more time while installing multiple servers.
- Hand-free installations on SPARC/X86
- Installadm command creates, lists and configuring the installation services.
- Configure and updating method of AI.
Especially network changes is one of the main concern in Solaris 11. Significant development in network side when we comparing with Solaris 10. Solaris 11 comes with profile-based network configurations which contains manual (Fixed Network configuration profile – NCP) and Automatic (reactive-Network Configuration profile – NCP) modes. Also introduced Network Auto-Magic (NWAM) features.
- If DefaultFixed NCP is active, then network configuration is managed by using dladm and ipadm.
- If Automatic NCP is active, then network configuration is managed by using netcfg and netadm.
- Network Configuration profiles contains configuration of network links and interfaces (IpAddress).
- Network Bandwidth allocation between the Zones and Aggregation between the Interfaces and IPMP enhancement.
- Configuring Network and troubleshoots
Live Upgrade concept comes with new features as called as Boot Environment in Oracle Solaris 11. Multiple boot environments can be maintained on a system. “beadm” utility which help us to administrate the Boot Environments.
- Boot Environments can have different Software versions installed.
- Make update Safe , Reliable and recoverable
- Reduce Risks and Increase availability.
- Configuring and administration of Boot Environments.
Oracle Solaris 11 is come up with ZFS as default filesystem. Its scalable, Easy to administer and robust. Oracle Solaris 11 ZFS come up with advanced data protection, deduplication, compression and self healing mechanism which prevents the data corruptions.
- Supports Deduplications
- “zfs diff” ZFS snapshot difference and ZFS shadow migrations.
- Common Multiprotocol SCSI target (COMSTAR)
- “zone split” command to split mirrored ZFS storage pool
- Creation and administration of Oracle Solaris 11 ZFS.
Oracle Solaris 11 Zones
Oracle Solaris 11 Zones is having many more features than Solaris 10. Oracle Solaris 11 zones are whole root zone only, there is no sparse root zone concept, although we have the option to create read-only zones. whenever we have very less resources, we can prefer the read-only zones.
- Exclusive IP concept for Solaris 11 zones.
- Solaris 10 can be only the branded zone in Solaris 11.
- “zonestat” utility is available for better resources monitoring of zones.
- Delegated network administration of solaris 11 Zones
- Solaris Zones can be NFS servers.
- Creation and administration of Oracle Solaris 11 Zones.
Oracle Solaris 11 Security
In Solaris 11 to make more secure they designed the root user as role account (RBAC). Assisting the compliance with security logs and auditing with Basic Audit Reporting Tool (BART).